The Department “Chemical Technology of High-Molecular Compounds”
of Chemico-Technological Faculty
of Mogilev State University of Food Technologies
(former- Mogilev Technological Institute)
Mogilev, Republic of Belarus
The department “Chemical Technology of High-Molecular Compounds” was set up in 1973 when Mogilev Technological Institute (nowadays “Mogilev State University of Food Technologies” (MSUFT) was founded.
The department trains engineer-chemist-technologists on specialty “Chemical technology of organic substances, materials and goods”. The main areas for training specialists are technology of production and processing of polymer materials, chemical fibers, films, composites аs well as chemical technology of finishing and dyeing of textile materials.
The department is also engaged in training programs for Masters, Research engineers and Candidates of Sciences (PhD) on specialty "Polymers and composite technology and processing" and "Physical chemistry".
The department offers training programs in 27 academic disciplines. The quality of practice-oriented training is provided by the faculty of the department, as well as leading experts of relevant industrial enterprises of chemical and textile industries. Educational and research laboratories are equipped with facilities that allows modeling and studying advanced technological processes. Classes on specialized disciplines as well as scientific studies are carried out at the branches of the department organized at JSC “Mogilevkhimvolokno” and JSC “Mogotex”. Practice-oriented training of students is carried out at enterprises equipped with modern equipment.
The educational process involves studying the processes of environmentally friendly processing of petrochemical and bio-renewable raw materials into polymer products for various purposes, including fiber and film materials, as well as composites on their basis that are applied in all areas of human activities: ranging from household use to special purposes.
The main fields of scientific interests and areas of scientific and practical and research work carried out at the department are:
- development of theoretical foundations and methods for modifying existing and developing new polymers, fibers, films and composite materials on their basis;
- investigation of the regularities of synthesis and modification polymers for forming fibers and films;
- investigation of the physicochemical properties of natural and synthetic fiber-forming polymers in solid and liquid aggregate states;
- improvement of production and processing of polyacrylonitrile fibers, improvement of their operational properties, development of modern materials for textile and technical purposes on their basis;
- development of the technology for obtaining and modifying fibers (textile, ion-exchange, heat-resistant, carbon, bioactive, medical, nanodimensional, etc.), as well as composite materials on their basis;
- development of new environmentallyfriendly, biodegradablepolymermaterials and technologies for their production and processing used inmedical practice, textile production, packaging and other purposes;
- development of new polymer materials based on bio-renewable raw materials and technologies for their production and processing;
- investigation of the destruction of polymeric materials under the influence of various physical, chemical and biological factors in vitro and in vivo;
- improvement of the processes of chemical technology (dyeing and finishing) of fibrous materials;
- nanotechnologies and nanomaterials in polymer and textile industries;
- chemical thermodynamics and aspects of synthesis and modification of low- and high-molecular compounds.
The personnel of the department take part in Government programs and international projects in the sphere of science and education.
The department maintains close cooperation with industrial enterprises in scientific and technological fields, carries out training, retraining and advanced training of personnel for enterprises of the Belarusian State Concern for Oil and Chemistry “Belneftekhim» (JSC “Mogilevkhimvolokno”, OJSC “SvetlogorskKhimvolokno”, “Khimvolokno Plant” of JSC “Grodno Azot”, plant “Polymir” of JSC “Naftan”, JSC “Grodno Scientific-Research and Design Institute for Nitrogen Industry and Organic Synthesis Products” and others), the Belarusian State Concern of textile industry “Bellegprom” (JSC «Mogotex», JSC “Svitanak”, RUPTE "Orsha Linen Mill", JSC “Polesie”, JSC "Sukno" and others) as well as JSC “Borisov plant of medical preparations”, Open Joint Stock Company “Nesvizh Plant of Medical Preparations” and others.
Oerlicon Barmag and Oerlicon Neumag greatly assist in the development of the information base on the modern equipment for the production and processing of polymer materials.
The department actively cooperates with specialized educational and scientific institutions of the Republic of Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Germany, Belgium, France, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Sweden, Hungary, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia in the implementation of Tempus, Erasmus, MOST programs, programs of academic mobility of students and teachers.
The staff of the Department are always ready to assist in solving the problems of technological process optimization and in the design of laboratory technological equipment for the production and processing of fiber, film and other polymer materials, as well as composites and textiles on their basis.
Leonid A. Shcherbina
Associate Professor, PhD (Eng)
Chief of the Department
Chemico- Technological Faculty, MSUFT
3 Shmidt str, Mogilev, 212027, Belarus
tel.: (+375-222)- 49-97-98, 33-28-99 (MogilevKhimvolokno)
See also about us
on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/khimiia_moia_zhizn
and VKontakte https://vk.com/htvms.mgup